New year resolution for a Scrum Master

With the new year, it's time for some resolutions. Each is a resolution I would like to make in the future.

Always let team members speak before you do in meetings. 

This was a hard one for me. I'm both opinionated and impatient. When an issue comes up during a meeting, it can be hard for me not to instantly blurt out my opinion. This often shuts down debate that might otherwise have occurred. I finally got over this problem (mostly) years ago when I resolved to always let two team members give their opinions before I (as a combination Scrum Master / developer) would share my own.

Praise the team more often. 

I am very much a glass-is-half-empty type of guy.  A team cuts their defect rate by 50 percent, and I want to know why not 100 percent. Velocity goes up by 5 points, and I think they could have gotten one more point. Part of this can be good; I am definitely always looking for ways to get better. And I put the same pressure on myself. But, I've learned that, of course, it can be depressing for a team that is making tremendous improvements to always hear about how there is still room to improve. Prevent this from becoming a problem by making it a priority to praise them more often.


But here are some more New Year’s resolutions for Scrum Masters to consider:

1. Offer to facilitate another team's retrospective
2. Update the team's definition of done (or write one if they don't have one)
3. Have that tough conversation you've been putting off
4. Learn something new
5. Help your team learn something new
6. If you've personally been giving the demo during sprint reviews, have someone else do it
7. Ban email for one day between team members (talk instead)
8. Have a private conversation thanking each team member for their contributions
9. Remove something from your process
10. Instead of maintaining an impediment list, remove each impediment the day you hear about it
11. In team meetings, ask more questions and make fewer statements
12. Trust your team
13. Admit when you've made a mistake
14. Celebrate little wins as well as big successes
15. Never type or look at your phone while a teammate is talking to you
16. Ask your team how they most want you to improve
17. Try sprint planning a completely different way
18. Encourage cross-training while allowing people to do what they're good at and enjoy
19. Ask a sixth why

Sources:

Comments

Popular Posts